Yesterday went really well. I posted that Jake and I went to the bookstore, read for a couple of hours and didn't spend any money. While menu planning, I realized that I have alot of food here. I think for the first couple weeks I am going to try to use up alot of food I have and only buy what is necessary. That way I am using things before they get freezer burned or expire. Often I forget what I have and buy more. I'm also guilty of having to throw out alot of food because of poor planning.
I am finding that I'm experiencing a strainge emotional phenomenon, though. It happened when I started losing weight too. I think it's the fear of expectation. With weight, I was afraid that if I lost weight but couldn't maintain the loss then I would feel and appear like a failure. With money, it's kind of the same fear, I think. If we cut back and save, then I will be "aware" of the waste and will have to clip coupons and quit spending frivolously forever, right?
As I was losing weight, I just recognized the fear and didn't allow it to change my behavior. I told myself that failure wasn't an option and as I dealt with the emotional reasons I overate, the urges diminished. I don't fear gaining the weight back anymore. I recognize that I will always need to make good food and exercise choices, but it doesn't seem so overwhelming anymore.
I think I will have to apply that same practice to saving money. Just take it step by step and not allow the fear of expectation to alter the course. Changes always seem overwhelming at first, but I'm sure as I practice living frugally it will become easier.
All of this leads me to the larger question. What is it about human nature that leads us to crave excess in pretty much every area of life?
Wednesday, September 2, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment