Only 5 days to go until our family starts our $$ Diet. There are some things we are doing to get ready. I thought I would share these with you all and maybe you can add comments about what you are doing to get ready if you are starting the diet with us.
1. Analyze current spending. We keep track of all of our spending in Quicken, which downloads transactions from our bank. This system has worked really well for us. I know others use different methods and I'd welcome comments sharing what you use and recommend. If you don't currently track spending, this will be a VITAL first step. You won't know how much you save unless you track your current spending. To analyze our spending, I will print a report of our average spending by category for the past year. I like to back at least 12 months to give myself an accurate view of things that might come up in the next few months and how to save for upcoming expenses.
2. Family Meeting. We are planning the meeting for tomorrow night. We are helping some friends get ready for a wedding so we'll have to keep it short (the boys will appreciate this). At the meeting we will all go over the expense reports and see which areas we think could be cut. We'll set a family goal and decide on our incentives if we reach it. We will also choose a charity to give 10% of our savings. Maybe more than one charity. Won't know until the meeting.
3. Since the diet starts on Monday, we will probably go out to eat Sunday night for a last fling with unnecessary spending before the crack down begins. This meal will probably involve many tears for me, as I truly hate cooking so much that the thought of cooking almost every meal for 3 months makes me question this whole idea (even though it was mine). I'll need lots of support from my friends who like to cook.
So that's our plan for the weekend leading up to the diet. What will your family be doing to get ready?
Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment